Monday 16 December 2019

Digital Journalism - Reflection

It's been a week since we finished making our video and looking back on it I think it could have went a lot better.

What went well:

1-Choosing a Topic: In this mission we had to choose a topic and research for it. We then had to tell the story through different media. At first I thought it would be interesting to look at Media Bias and how during the US Election news platforms report the news different. Fox news are pro Trump and CNN are anti Trump - because of these they both report it differently. After looking at it we thought not everybody would be interested in watching a video on that topic so we decided to go for something more trivial - Entertainment in 2019

2-TimelineJS: After looking at each of the tools that were recommended in the brief I thought that Timeline made the most sense to use in our video. We needed to show dates throughout the year so it was a perfect fit.

3-Teamwork: I thought we worked really well as a team when we finally met up - we  got to work really quick and came up with some good ideas.

Challenges:

1-Meeting Up: The first time we were supposed to meet up turned out to be a disaster - after coming in at 9am on my day off for a day of working on the assignment my group members weren't able to make it. Trying to plan a time after this turned out to be hard aswell due to other assignments being due and having to go to work after college. The only other time we met up was the day before the video was due - we were in college for 8 hours and it felt like we had done majority of the research and work last minute to be honest and I think it showed in the quality of our video.

2-Tools: In the end we only used Timeline - I think that it would have been way better if we tried some more out and included them in our video.

What I learned:

1-TimelineJS: I looked through some of the suggested tools which included Open Refine and Story Mapper but in the end decided to use TimelineJS - I watched a video on how to use it and it was so simple. I think i could definitely use it again in the future.

2-PremierePro: I had never really used Premiere Pro and even though I myself didn't really use it during this mission I think I have a bit more knowledge on it now.

Overall I'm disappointed in our final video and the result we were given. I think we did show a new tool we learned pretty well and that we could work as a team . I also think for beginners who had never used PremierePro before our editing skills were pretty good.

Well that's my final post for this semester. Hope you enjoyed reading my posts over the past few months.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Seán Clarke

Image result for merry christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment