Monday 16 December 2019

Producing Digital Journalism

This blog post is going to be about how me and my group went about completing this mission.

Image result for tik tokIn my previous blog post I talked about which topic we chose and why which was Digital Journalism.On social media I use apps like Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat and Buzzfeed. Each one of these apps uses one of the forms of Digital Journalism and I wanted to look into each one.

When I finally got into my group the first thing I did was make a Whatsapp group so that we could communicate and share any information or challenges we were facing during our research. This way we could ask for one anothers help if we got stuck at any point.

When I began to research the first thing I did was read about the 12 formats within Digital Journalism. I wanted to see which one I could use in my video and which one I thought I could make myself. The two formats that I was most interested in looking into producing were Timelines and Listicles. I decided on making a timeline in the end. For this mission we had to choose a topic and research it so that we could present it through one of the tools suggested. The topic we decided to to research was the entertainment industry in 2019 and we included Music, Movies and Social Media trends.

To create my timeline I used the tool TimelineJS. It's a Google spreadsheet that lets you enter dates and information - results in a slick timeline. You can improve the layout of the timeline as it lets you edit the font, background colour and it lets you add images. The timeline we decided to make shared information about every Number 1 song in 2019. After entering all of the information we had gathered and we finished editing the layout to how I wanted it we then used Quick Time Player on the Mac to screen record our timeline, showing each No1. We recorded the audio we used in this video separately. In  this we spoke a bit about what our topic was, how the timeline was made and a bit of information about the chart this year.

The next thing we looked at was to make a Listicle that would talk about the movies of 2019. We looked through Buzzfeed to see how they do some of their ones and noticded that they make a lot of quizzes for their users to do. We thought this would be fun for us to do so we let David come up with the questions. We wanted to make it light hearted so he made the quiz title "Can you guess the 2019 movie from these bad descriptions". We screen recorded the same way we had done for TimelineJS and the audio for this was also done separately. In it David asked me and Melissa the questions he had made and we had to see if we could get the answers.

The last thing we did was looked at TikTok. It's a social media app that lets users share short videos - most of them are funny and resemble the now inactive social media app Vine. We decided to recreate a viral video and spent an embarrassing amount of time trying to perfect it.


When we finished all of our video content and audio recording we had to use Premiere Pro to put our video together for the presentation.

Next blog post will be my final one of this semester, it will be reflecting on this mission.
Seán

No comments:

Post a Comment