Monday 16 December 2019

Digital Journalism - Why did I choose it?

Mission 3 - Methodology
For our final mission in Introduction to Digital Media we had to research and present a video on one of the following topics: Networks, Image Visualization, Mapping or Text Analysis. At home I looked into each topic to see which one I thought would suit me best. To be honest I was kind of confused reading through each brief at first and wasn't actually sure what I would have to do for some of the topics if I had chose them.The two topics I was most interested in exploring was Text Analysis and Digital Journalism. I know nothing about Text Analysis and thought it would be really cool to see how technology helps in analyzing text. When looking at the brief for Digital Journalism i knew it was one I definitely wanted to do. I use social media and the internet a lot and without even realising it we all constantly use different forms of Digital Journalism. I finally decided on Digital Journalism when I looked at the article that broke down the Digital Journalism formats into 12 categories, I thought it would be great to look into them in more detail and maybe make one by myself.
Image result for social media logos
The goals for this assignment include the following:
- To learn about the historical relationship between Journalism and Media technologies
- Learn how the internet has made new modalities of communication possible
-Learn how digital tools make new kinds of research possible

For this mission we were able to team up with anybody in the entire year. (in previous missions we had to stick within our groups) I asked around to see if anybody was interested in doing Digital Journalism before I asked on Slack. I eventually ended up teaming up with Melissa and David. Like in previous missions we looked through our goals and made a plan on how to pull it off. This mission was different, in previous ones we had to make a Powerpoint Presentation and present in front of our groups but in this one we had to make a video using Premiere Pro and it was shown in front of our entire lecture group.

Next blog post will be on the story of us producing our Digital Journalism mission!
Sean

No comments:

Post a Comment